If you were to combine a donut, a churro and a waffle, this would be what their baby would look like. Look at how pretty these donuts are! I know it's weird to call them donuts because they look like waffles and are made in a waffle iron but the texture is so soft and fluffy just like a freshly made donut. Cinnamon sugar is one of my favorites so I couldn't wait to make these.
I mean look at them. They are so easy to make, perfectly soft, perfectly sweet and amazingly delicious! If you are going to any type of family get-together, bringing something to a put-luck or just meeting up with friends- bring these babies! Everyone that tried them is a fan.
- 1 Cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- 3 cups flour
For the topping:
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup of melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the eggs (one at a time), the buttermilk and melted butter. Beat well.
- Slowly stir in the 3 cups of flour, mixing well until it's thoroughly combined. The batter should be thick.
- Pre-heat your waffle griddle. Place the batter in the center of each waffle square (or triangle, depending on what kind of waffle maker you have)
- Cook for 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the dougnuts from the waffle iron and place on a cooling rack.
- In a seperate bowl, combine the white sugar and cinnamon for the topping.
- Using a pastry brush, brush both sides of the waffle with butter then dip into the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Set back onto the rack and continue with the other doughnuts until finished.
Recipe adapted from: The Kitchen Magpie